10 Best Finishes To Use For Your House Front Design In Order To Keep The House Cherished For A Long Time
The front elevation design of your home is the first thing people see, and it’s essential to make an excellent first impression. One way to elevate your house front design is by selecting timeless finishes that never go out of style.
In this article, Alacritys will demystify 10 endless finishes that will give your home front design a fresh and modern look. So, let’s dive in and discover how you can transform your home elevation design with these stunning finishes.
The Importance of Choosing the Right Finishes for Home Front Design
- Choosing the right finishes for your front side house design is critical to its overall design and appeal.
- The right finishes can enhance your home’s architectural style, increase its value, and improve its energy efficiency.
How Everlasting And Trendy Finishes Can Change Your House Front Design?
They are important aspects of architectural design as they set the tone for the overall aesthetic of the house. When selecting finishes for your home’s front elevation design it’s important to distinguish between everlasting finishes and trendy finishes.
- Everlasting finishes have been used for decades and never go out of style. These finishes are versatile, and durable, and enhance the architectural style of your home.
- Designed to withstand wear, weathering, and various forms of degradation, everlasting finishes aim to retain their aesthetic appeal and functionality over an extended period.
- There are a lot of products out there, like paint, coatings, cladding, stone veneer, tiles, and more, that you can choose from for everlasting finishes. They’re named that because they’re engineered to last despite aging, environment, and use.
- Trendy finishes on a house’s front elevation can vary based on architectural style, regional influences, and climate.
- Trendy finishes can indeed contribute to the overall style, texture, and visual impact of a building for a while, but they are not guaranteed to remain popular for a long period.
On the whole, both finishes enhance your house’s exterior design and give your house a distinct character.
You can consider below 10 everlasting architectural finishes to use for house design front view:
It starts with some basic categories and the entire 10 gets covered under these basic categories. Out of them, the first one that comes on the top of our list is,
Classic Architectural Finishes:
Classic finishes like brick, stone, and stucco have been around for many years and never go out of style. Your home will look great with these multifaceted and long-lasting finishes. Below are the types of classic finishes:
1. Exposed Brick Classic Finish -
Exposed brick cladding is a classic finish that has been used for centuries. It’s a durable material that can withstand harsh weather conditions and requires minimal maintenance.
Bricks are a timeless material popular for creating impressive house front elevation designs.
No other material has the elegance and charm of exposed brick elevations. Choosing them is a good choice due to their longevity and ease of maintenance.
Exposed brick masonry is primarily used for the interior & external walls of a house and so is generally chosen for its aesthetic qualities. Bharat Bricks Pvt. Ltd. is the best brick company all over India to see varieties and choose one of the best in exposed brick cladding finishes.
A few more details about exposed brick:
- Various Types – Expelled bricks, Stock bricks, Curve bricks, Designer Bricks, etc.
- Standard Size – Depth of 3 – 5/8 inches, a height of 2 – 1/4 inches, and a length of 7- 5/8 inches.
- Life Expectancy – 100+ years
- Standard Cost – Exposed brick wall assuming brick at Rs.15 for 4.5 inches, that is, Rs.200 per sq feet
2. Stone in Classic Finishes -
Stone for elevation design is another classic finish that has been used for many years ago. It’s a timeless material that adds beauty and elegance to any home.
Common stones include sandstone, travertine, marble, and granite for the front elevation.
Stone is a natural material that adds elegant tactile and aesthetic appeal to a structure. One of the key advantages of using stone for front elevation design is its ability to create a sense of permanence.
Classic Marble Company Pvt Ltd offers a variety of manufactured stone products, thin brick, tile, and precast products.
A few more details about Stone:
- Various Types – Marble, Limestone, Granite, Quartzite, Sandstone, Basalt, Quartz, etc.
- Standard Size – Varies from 2200 x 1200mm to 3300 x 1950mm
- Life Expectancy – 100+ years
- Standard Cost – Varies from Rs.50 per sq ft to Rs.700 per sq ft in India
3. Stucco in Classic Finishes -
Stucco is a classic finish that has been used for front side house design for a long decades. Cement, sand, lime, and water are combined to create stucco siding. The terms stucco siding and stucco are the same.
Stucco plaster comes in a variety of colours and textures, making it a versatile choice for any architectural style. Stucco plaster with different stucco colours is a common siding for Mission Revival, Spanish, and Mediterranean-style homes.
A few more details about Stucco:
- Various Types – Sanded Stucco Texture, Smooth Stucco Texture, Sprayed Cement Stucco, Tex Coating Stucco, Synthetic Sprayed Stucco, Spanish Lace Stucco, etc.
- Standard Thickness – Scratch coat = 3/8 inch thick, brown coat = 3/8 inch thick, and finish coat = 1/8 inch thick.
- Life Expectancy – 50+ years
- Standard Cost – Around Rs.50 per kg
As the above three classic finishes bring a combination look of modern and classical both to your front elevation design. Some finishes bring a vintage look to your house front design.
These finishes come under the second category of our list of architectural finishes named, Wooden Finishes.
Wood finishes such as shingles, clapboard, board and batten add warmth and texture to your home’s exterior. Check below types of wooden finishes.
4. Shingles in Wooden Finishes -
It has been centuries since shingle roofs have been used as roof coverings. small wooden pieces, the shape of shingles, installed one by one to create an overlapping, staggering effect for the front elevation design.
Shingle roof materials are durable, weather-resistant, and require minimal maintenance. With proper maintenance, shingle roofs can last for several decades, making them a cost-effective roofing option in the long run.
A few more details about shingles:
- Various Types – Strip shingles, Dimensional shingles, and Luxury shingles
- Standard Size – Average size measure 12 by 36 inches
- Life Expectancy – 20+ years
- Standard Cost – Comes in a range of Rs.60 per sq. ft. to Rs.140 per sq. ft. in India.
5. Clapboard in Wooden Finishes -
Historically, clapboard has been a popular wood finish. It’s a versatile material that adds texture and warmth to your home elevation design.
Generally, clapboards are installed on the house front elevation design so that 4″ of the total 6″ material is exposed to the weather.
Clapboard is a series of boards fixed horizontally to the outside of a front elevation design, with each board partly covering the one below, to protect the building from the weather.
The form of modern clapboard construction is often imitated in siding made out of vinyl (uPVC), aluminum, brick, or fibre cement.
A few more details about the clapboard:
- Various Types – Radially sawn, Flat-sawn, Riven, Finger jointed, Chamferboard
- Standard Size – Small – 190mm W x 129mm H. Medium – 281mm W x 191mm H. Large – 381mm W x 259mm H.
- Life Expectancy – 20 years
- Standard Cost – A front elevation costs Rs.5000/- and a corner elevation costs Rs.8000/-.
Shingles and Clapboard finishes come under Wooden finishes. And now we are turning to show you what comes under metal finishes. Let’s check out them.
Metal finishes such as copper, zinc, and steel add a sleek and modern look to your front elevation design. These finishes are stout, weather-resistant, and require minimal maintenance.
6. Copper Sheets in Metal Finishes -
Copper is a timeless metal finish that adds warmth and elegance to your house front elevation. It’s a durable material that can withstand harsh weather conditions and requires minimal maintenance.
copper has been used in a variety of ways ranging from small lighting fixtures and vases to entire house front elevation. A copper roof, flashing, gutters, downspouts, domes, spires, vaults, wall cladding, and expansion joints are some of the architectural elements made from copper.
A few more details about copper sheets:
- Various Types – Riven, Radially sawn, Flat-sawn, Finger jointed, Chamferboard
- Standard Size – Max 600 mm by 4000 mm
- Thickness – 0.7 mm thick copper sheet on the facade
- Life Expectancy – 20 years
- Standard Cost – Between Rs.250/sq mtr to Rs.400/sq mt
7. Zinc Sheets and Bars in Metal Finishes -
Zinc is another metal finish that adds a modern and sleek look to the house front elevation design. It’s a durable material that can withstand harsh weather conditions and requires minimal maintenance.
Zinc is a naturally occurring element that stands above for its sustainable nature. As a corrosion-preventative, zinc is one of the most important elements in the metal world.
A few more details about zinc sheets:
- Various Types – Corrugated, Polycarbonate, etc
- Standard Size – Length of 8, 10, or 12 feet, and the width may vary widely depending on the style of roofing
- Thickness – 0.7mm
- Standard Cost – Rs.250/square meter to Rs.500/square meter.
8. Steel Railings and Jali Designs in Metal Finishes -
Steel is a popular metal finish that adds a modern and industrial look to your front side house design. It’s a durable material that can resist harsh weather conditions and requires minimal maintenance.
Steel pipe for front Elevation has been adding aesthetics to building front elevation design for more than decades. Steel jali design for balconies has popular demand when thinking about home elevation design.
Finished plaster brickwork with through and through cut can have this steel Jali design sheet.
So metal architectural finishes are being used when it comes to luxury residential architecture and when you have a quite bold taste to make your house look stunning among other houses around you.
Now here comes the introduction to trending architectural finishes of the era which are being used quite commonly in India. These finishes are called Composite finishes in architectural terms.
Composite finishes such as fibre cement and engineered wood offer the look of natural wood and stone finishes without maintenance. There are many benefits to using these finishes, including durability, weather resistance, and minimal maintenance.
9. Fibre Cement as a Composite Finish -
Fibre cement is a popular composite finish that offers the look of natural stone or wood finishes after the process on them. The fibre cement panels are available in thicknesses ranging from 4.5mm to 18mm.
The edges of panels with lower density have a fibrous texture, while the edges of boards with higher density have a smoother and cleaner appearance.
Fibre cement comes in a variety of colours and textures, making it a versatile choice for any architectural style. fibre cement sheets are both water-resistant as well as waterproof.
Fibre cement sheets from Centuryply, such as Zykron, are considered one of the best fibre cement products in India. They’re easy to handle, install, and maintain. Products from Zykron are superior to moisture, borer, and termite, fire, and weather conditions, making them suitable for residential, commercial & industrial applications.
A few more details about fibre cement:
- Standard Size – 8′-0”x4’0′
- Thickness – ½” and ¼”
- Standard Cost – Rs.128/ mtr
10. Glass as a Composite Finish -
Glass design for front elevation is one of the most selective elements when you think of designing your home. It contributes significantly to the overall appearance of a house.
House front elevation glass design can create a transparent look and allow an adequate amount of light into a home when it is used in innovative forms.
Tempered glass is ideal for residential exteriors and is also known as toughened glass or safety glass. Most experts recommend using either toughened or tempered glass for balcony railings of house front elevation. They are both incredibly strong and look great.
FUSO Glass India Pvt Ltd, Piramal Glass Pvt Ltd, Pragati Glass Pvt Ltd, and Gurind India Pvt Ltd deal with a complete range of architectural glasses, automotive glasses & glass used for various applications.
A few more details about glass:
- Various Types – Tinted Glass, Tempered Glass, Toughened Glass, Stained Glass, Insulated Glass, etc
- Standard Size – 2.5 x 3.6 meters
- Thickness – 5mm to 12 mm
- Standard Cost – Rs.220/ sq ft.
How to maintain these finishes to keep them looking good for a long time?
Maintaining finishes is important for them to last and look good. Different finishes need different care, so it is important to know the maintenance needed before choosing one.
- Wood finishes need to be stained or painted regularly to keep them looking nice and prevent rot and decay.
- Metal finishes must be regularly cleaned to avoid rust and corrosion.
- Fibre cement and engineered wood only need minimal care but may need to be wiped down now and then to get rid of dirt and debris.
Understand the maintenance your finishes need. This will help them last over an extended period and keep their attractive look for a long time.
The Advantages of Architectural Finishes to Use for House Front Design
1. Maintenance cost -
The finishes for the house require little upkeep from the homeowners. The wall cladding is made from materials that form a protective layer for the house front design.
They all have a strong resistance against sunlight, rain, and winds. It also helps prevent water intrusion into outdoor areas.
Though many people find the installation of finishes on front elevation design expensive to invest in, still the one-time investment is worth its cost.
2. Protection from dirt and pollution -
The wall cladding system shields houses from pollution and dirt from the outside. If a house front elevation design is only painted, dirt and debris will accumulate, making the house look shabby over time. Wall cladding prevents this problem. This also provides houses with an attractive and finished appearance.
3. Sound insulation -
The best way to create a good sound insulation system for the house from outside of your house is, by adding wall cladding to it. It stops external noises by acting as a barrier between the outside and inside of the building.
4. Heat insulation -
A wall cladding system provides very good heat insulation, just like a great sound insulator. It has a layer to stop extreme heat from entering the inside.
Your Concerns and Our Solutions -
You may find some disadvantages behind considering them for the front elevation design, but they don’t act as any disadvantages in the long term. We have figured out with our experience what you can consider as disadvantages and listed them below with our solutions to your concerns.
1. Cost -
Finishing a home is expensive. Timber and metal cladding are cheaper than concrete cladding. Homeowners should be aware that wall cladding will be costly, but it will be worth the money in the long run.
2. Time -
Installing a wall cladding system is difficult. It needs special abilities and takes more time than other building activities, but brings great aesthetics and keeps your house protected in the long term.
3. Repair -
The wall cladding requires low maintenance. Metal claddings are more prone to damage than other types of claddings. A regular, simple maintenance routine is enough to keep it looking good for a long time.
However, repairing damaged or dented stones is a difficult and tedious task, so better to use them with proper care from the beginning by coating them with the required paint, polish, and glare coating.
Choosing the right finish for your house front elevation is very important. Alacritys Pune Architects can help you find what you’re looking for. We have selected 10 finishes to keep your house looking good for a long time.
Consider the finishes to use for House Front Design mentioned above and choose one that suits you. The perfect way to choose the right company or brand is by comparing the characteristics of durability, weather resistance, and minimal maintenance among them.
The front elevation design of your home is the first thing people see, so it is essential to make an excellent first impression. To improve the curb appeal and value of your home, choose timeless finishes that never go out of style.
Selecting the right finishes for your home is important. Think about the architectural style, climate, and maintenance needs. Examples of everlasting finishes include classic brick and sleek stucco. Choose finishes that will make a home you will love for years. Pick finishes that will give you a beautiful home.
Now our questions for you are to get your brainstormed answers:
- Which finish will you choose for your front elevation and why?
- Will you choose everlasting finishes or trendy finishes and based on which reasons?
- Which finishes did you find energy-efficient finishes?
- How will you maintain the finish you choose for your home?
1. Which material is best for house front design?
Wood, stone, metal, and brick are all popular choices for house front designs. Each material offers its unique look and style, so it’s important to consider the desired aesthetic when making a decision. Additionally, the local climate should also be taken into account when selecting a material.
2. What purpose does a shingle roof serve?
The shingles act as a barrier to water, preventing it from seeping through and damaging the underlying structure of the roof. They also provide insulation, keeping the temperature inside the building more stable. Finally, they can improve the visual appeal of the building, making it look more attractive.
3. What are the important design factors to consider when choosing the right finish for house front design?
When choosing the right finishes for your home, consider your home’s architectural style, the climate in your area, and your personal style preferences.